What you need to know about worker’s compensation

There are a lot of people who work from payday to payday, just to get by in life. But, what happens when you hurt yourself at work? Who will pay the bills then? Most related work injuries will result in time off which means you won’t be working and you will not have any more income until you return to work.

If it is just a minor accident, you could only miss a couple of days. But what happens if you are looking at a surgery that will have a recovery time of 60 days or more? This is where workers’ compensation comes into play. If you are in Minnesota, you can learn more about it here.

Job-related accident

The very first thing that you must do is to report it to the person who is in charge. They will ask you to take a drug test; here, they will ensure you weren’t under the influence of any type of drug. You only have 48 hours to report the accident. The next step is they will have you go the hospital.

Doctor’s report

doctor checking patientYou would be seen by a physician, he or she will determine if it was caused by performing your duties at work. If it is a work related accident, then they will give you some forms to fill out and send you to a workers compensation doctor who will further assist you. They will determine if a little time off is needed or surgery.

The physician’s note will let your employer know that you can’t return to work without a doctor’s note. Your employer will file your worker’s compensation insurance. They will pay you your regular salary.

Compensation benefits

hand writing on a bookThey will send you to their referring doctor who will perform any type of surgery. They will do all the paperwork for you; the only thing you have to do is show up for all the visits that will follow after the surgery. They will be the ones who will be the determine when you can return to work. The doctor may have you go back to work on light duty, just unti you heal. After that, they will have you go back to full duty.

Take note that if you were under the influence of a drug or alcohol other than what a doctor has prescribed you, they would not cover any of the medical bills, and most likely you will lose your job.